5 Long-Lasting Home Additions for Your Home
Do you want to add value to your home without incurring huge remodeling expenses? Consider home additions. If you haven’t thought about all of the home additions you can make to your home, then it’s time to learn about the different options you have.
Choosing can be challenging since there are many products on the market. Hence, consider working with a licensed home renovation company to help you decide and build an addition that lasts and adds value to your property.
Why do you need an addition in your home?
There are many reasons to consider an addition to your home. You may need more space for family gatherings or additional bedrooms for children, create a home office, accommodate parents or other relatives, add a rental unit, or your family has grown. Whatever the reason for adding your house, our team at Habermehl will cost-effectively expand your current living space.
Adding a room helps to:
- Create more space for your family or guests
- Update your home’s style and aesthetic
- Increase the value of your property if you choose to sell one day
- It allows you to add features such as skylights or windows that let in natural light
- It gives you extra room for storage, reducing clutter elsewhere
Here are some long-lasting home additions for your home:
There are several home additions to choose from if you do some research. But here are the ones we advise since they are designed to last;
Finish the basement
To every family, a basement can be a useful addition. Many homeowners don’t finish this area as they see it as a tedious project. There are many reasons to consider finishing this area of your home. It will allow you to better accommodate your family and friends when they need a place to gather or stay. You can not only transform part of your basement for a living area, but also add bedrooms and a bathroom. This will be a comfortable space for your family to enjoy as well as others that visit by hanging out in a spacious environment.
A finished basement not only adds extra square footage to enjoy, it also can boost the resale value as well.
Extending your existing footprint
There are many creative ways you can expand your existing living space and also increase the value of your home.
- Build a dormer – they can provide much-needed light in your upper level, they also add major curb appeal, and can make your home look larger
- Add onto your kitchen – expand your kitchen’s square footage by a bump-out addition for a new breakfast nook, or a walk-in pantry
- Expand the bathroom – increasing bathroom square footage can be done easily by adding space for a soaking tub or a large walk-in shower. These bathroom projects can also greatly increase the value of your home.
- Enhance your laundry room – if your current laundry area is small, expand for additional square footage. Main-level laundry rooms are a highly desired unique home feature, so moving your laundry room from the basement is a good investment.
By adding onto your existing home, you can increase your liveable square footage and also improve your home’s resale value.
Add a second or third floor
Looking for ways to expand your home’s footprint without losing any square footage on the ground level? Work with a home renovator to get this right and save on additional costs.
You can build an extra story on your house with the proper permits. This is a great way to increase square footage and add some much-needed storage space. While it’s not the cheapest of projects, adding a second floor gives you more space for guests and family members to sleep and can also serve as an office or playroom for the kids.
Add a room in the garage
Got a spare garage room that you don’t use anymore? They are an excellent way to give yourself more living space without incurring the cost of moving or remodeling the house. They’re great for extra storage space, guest rooms, or as part of a personal home office.
Our team designs a custom addition that fits your needs and looks great on your property. Our expert contractors can install it using innovative techniques to ensure it blends seamlessly into your preferred interior and exterior designs. The new room can be a beautiful addition that lasts decades without having to be replaced or repaired.
Convert the porch into a sunroom or three-season room
A porch is a popular spot for homeowners to include an addition since it’s a great space for entertaining and relaxing. To make the most out of this space during the warmer months, you need an addition that turns your porch into a sunroom or three-season room.
The porch conversion can give you access to fresh air and natural light all year long while providing additional space for entertaining guests or relaxing with family members on weekends.
Sunrooms are attached to the side of a house with a wall facing south for maximum sun exposure. However, if you have your preferred configurations, it’s also possible. A sunroom extends your living space with windows on at least three sides.
Convert the attic into a living space
Don’t let your attic go unused. Turn it into a stylish living space. The attic is the best place to add living space as it’s large and open, giving you plenty of room to work. Our architectural drafters will help you design the space if you work with us.
To ensure this area is ready for use as a bedroom or bathroom, install wiring and plumbing in the walls and ceiling. Add insulation between joists so you can use this area as an additional sleeping space for your family members during summer nights or winter mornings. Attic conversions include installing skylights to provide additional lighting inside when needed during nighttime.
Here are different types of home additions:
Home additions vary greatly depending on your budget, the style of your home, and your personal needs and preferences. Here are some options to consider:
- Additions that expand your living space: Building an extra room or two is an excellent way to expand your living space and enhance its ambiance. The right home renovator can help you expand your kitchen or living room into a sunroom or conservatory, giving you even more options for entertaining guests or relaxing with family and friends.
- Additions That Improve Your Space: To give your house a modern look, add a new deck off the back of your home or an outdoor fireplace. That can greatly improve your home space.
- Additions That Increase Value: If you’re planning on selling your house in the future, adding a second story increases its value, making it more appealing to buyers.
Home additions are a long-term investment that you’ll enjoy for years, even after you’ve retired or the kids have grown up. Although you may have to pay a little more upfront, it is ultimately worth it.
For the best innovative designs, make a consultation appointment with Habermehl. We have over 50 years of experience offering similar services and helping our clients build cost-effective homes that increase your living space. Whether it is a garage or an extra bedroom, we can change the ordinary into the extraordinary. To ensure we build a long-lasting home addition for you, we have incorporated innovative renovations and a team of experienced architects, designers, and project managers. Call us today to add beauty and value to your home.
- Rachel Habermehl, January 9, 2023